What is the Arch to Arc?

The Arch to Arc is a mega-triathlon from Marble Arch in London to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. It involves an 87 mile ultra-marathon run from London to Dover, a 21mile swim across the English Channel and then a 181mile bike ride from Calais to Paris. When it is raced in a relay format it is classically done by 6 individuals doing an hour of exercise and then 5 hours off. Vickie and I will be the first 2 person team to attempt the Arch to Arc and we intend to break the 40hour barrier which will challenge some of the fastest 6-person relay teams. To make it even more unique Vickie will do the entire 87mile run, I will do the Channel swim and we will relay the bike ride (got to play to our strengths, plus I don't like running).

Thursday 23 July 2015

2 weeks to go………………..

The start of the Arch to Arc is just over 2 weeks to go now. I have spoken to Mike Oram (boat pilot) and Edgar Ette (the official from Enduroman). Mike was his usual dour self, he forecast a 15-16 hour swim based on his experience of Arch to Arc swimmers. When I suggested I might be quicker given my swimming background and world record around Manhattan he was quick to suggest this would be a poor reflection on how I would swim the channel. He even suggested the wetsuit might slow me down which seemed a little odd. I'm hoping I can prove him substantially wrong. He is the authority on piloting channel swimmers and has seen record breakers and spectacular failures but I'm going to take his comments with a grain of salt. Edgar Ette was also a little sceptical on Vickie's hopes of running sub 16hrs for the 87 miles. It will be our aim to not only complete this challenge but do so in a time that will be difficult for the next two person team (if there ever is one) to beat. My hope is that we will go under 40 hours which will be a great achievement given most 6 person relay teams struggle to go that fast and some have taken in excess of 60 hours.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing! Looking forward to Tuesday night. Bev and Terry. Fancy auctioning off "a day on the duke"? How about a day to a destination of your choice (suggest Wales) on a super comfortable and supper fast Ducati multistrada 1200. I'll pay for fuel so all the proceeds go to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Terry - that would be BRILLIANT! Thank you very much! Looking forward to seeing you later tonight. Thank you so much. Vickie and Ollie x

    ReplyDelete